Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm happy to just open the windows and sleep nekkid

I miss living alone. My roommate is ok, we get along fine, but she's always there and always wants to talk and worst of all, we have very different thoughts regarding the thermostat. It's a good thing I'm a nice person and weak and don't stand up to her or we'd have some serious issues.

In my last 2 apartments, I don't think I turned on the air conditioning until July. Keep in mind that I live in the south where it gets miserably hot and humid in the summer and when those dog days hit, I'm more than happy to pump the cold air through. I've been fortunate enough to have a very well shaded apartment close to a river, so the air stayed a little cooler and I'd just open the windows and then the next one was basically a basement and didn't get very hot (But I learned that the humidity can cause a nasty mold problem if the air's not running. Oops.) I'd usually shut the windows early July and enjoy a couple months of AC.

But it's MARCH 8! We're in the middle of a warm spell and it got up to 77 today, so she comes home at 11:45pm and asks if we can turn the air on just a little bit. This is the same girl who wanted the heat on the second it dipped below 65 outside and complains of being cold all the time, as though it's my fault and I have some control over the weather or our antiquated heating and air system. She can't sleep when she's cold. But apparently she also gets really hot at night and so she needs the air on. Yeah, this is the same person.

She's going to be awful to be around come late April when it really does get warm and this apartment doesn't have good air flow, so it can become warm very quickly indoors. Me and my wallet prefer to suffer with the windows open and a ceiling fan, but she gets paid more than minimum wage and can afford to run that horrible, energy-sucking thing. Not sure how to handle this.

1 comment:

  1. She should probably move into my house. I'm all about cranking up the AC. It's a problem, I know. :)

    ReplyDelete